Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Aspiring Curvy Models!!! This One's For You

One of my First photoshoot with Sayellz Imperial of now RomanEmpireMedia.. He Does AMAZING WORK

Women are always inboxing me, asking how they can go about entering the world of Plus Size Modeling. There are many steps one must take in order to begin your career as a Curvy Model. In this Blog I offer up a few solid suggestions picked up along the way both independently as well as through some pretty amazing organizations that can help you get started... First Things First!!

 

 
RESEARCH
Social Media and Google should be your best friends during this process at all times but even more so during the beginning stages of your journey. The purpose of intensive research is not only to give you a better insight as to what industry standards are but to ensure the people, organizations and or agencies you reach out to are reputable and will help you grow your business. You have to know who is who is the community and try to attend events where you will be in the same room and can begin networking. Always remember YOU and YOUR BODY are YOUR BUSINESS. Your safety comes first at all times so you MUST ensure the people you work with are legit.  People will be quick to push a contract at you especially if you're new and don't know the business which its always best to EDUCATE YOURSELF to allow for more empowered business decision making. I say if they are not a reputable modeling agency or company kindly pass. 
 
Build Your Business- How to Start your Portfolio
Your pictures are really going to show the world how serious you are where you want to take your career. The problem that a lot of up and coming models have are lack of funds. Photographers can vary in price depending on the quality you are looking for but initially designers and agencies want to see just basic looks from you.. Start with these and looks and build from there. Have a Natural look, a Business Look, a Night on the Town Look and a Swimwear look complete with your best Head and Full Body shots. If affording a photographer is an issue go around to local colleges and seek out students who are looking to build their portfolio as well. They can watermark all their photos and get exposure. Everyone deserves to be paid for their work so see about negotiating a price with them, or if you both agree to cross promotion refer their services to anyone who is in need of photos. This can all be a win win so long as everyone up holds their end of the bargain. Have them creat a Comp Card with all your looks and you exact measurements. Once all your pictures are in order and you set up your on Social Media sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, you can begin liking and following all the industry vets, magazines and designers cause they may have upcoming opportunities for you. When you head out to these events bring your best smile and comp card as you never know who you will meet.

Humble Beginnings!! I enlisted the help of my roommate for these test shots
 
Fast Forward- This past summer at the Cancer and Alopecia Awareness Event meeting the Fabulous Curvaciously Yours Olga Gonzalez-Ramos for the First time!!
 
 
 

Be Ready for Your Opportunity
Invest in yourself further by investing in your wardrobe. Aim to be fashion forward at all times and purchase all the appropriate undergarments including proper fitting Bras, Spanx, Shapewear high waist panties, various color panty hose and the like. The basic shoes in your closet should be 3 inch Black, Nude, Red, Grey Shoes and seasonal colors you feel will help make an outfit pop should a designer need them for a runway show. Rarely are platforms acceptable for a runway call so make sure you can walk in your heels.. Practice Practice Practice!!! Start looking at your favorite models be they plus or standard size and try emulating their poses for shoots.. Always bring your smile and A game and remember lines. Your hands and feet should be in sync with your body. Don't be afraid to take chances as well cause what you may feel awkward may serve up an excellent shot for the photographer. REMEMBER you are the model and the clothes are the main event. You have to be focused on the piece you are wearing and make it come to life in the photo for sales!! That is your ultimate responsibility


 




Hold Steadfast to your Dream
Understand that sometimes you may want something but it may not be meant for you in the capacity you'd like to see it happen. That doesn't mean you can't be a part of the fashion world in one way or another. There are many avenues you can take part in realizing your dream Hairstylist, Make Up Artist, Behind the Scenes Production, Designing ETC... If you do your research you will be more prepared to find your niche so if you see plus modeling isn't turning out the way you'd hoped think about what it is you are really good at and put yourself out there that way as well. Your will get to the place you want to be one way or another. I myself learned I am a great interviewer, host and writer. Being the face of Full Blossom Magazine has allowed me to interview with some of the Pioneers and Leaders of the industry and now I blog for Curvy Models Rocks having you all as an international audience. Pretty Sweet!! When modeling didn't pan out as I had hoped I looked at what I was really good at and applied myself. Now I get called for photoshoots and runway shows!

 On the Runway during the Evolution of Curve NYC Finale Event

Post the Alopecia Cancer Awareness Benefit Held in NYC with Fellow Models Curvi Cori, Yum Yum. Ask Mocha, and Michele Hilton

I was lucky to have come across Photographer Tyquane Bates Co Owner of Full Blossom Magazine who encouraged me to not give up and follow my passion. He was my photographer for my first photoshoot and even gave me my first opportunity to start blogging! I researched and through my research found one of the best mentors one could hope to find in this industry. As result I later became the face of Full Blossom Magazine and so many wonderful opportunities have opened up for me ever since. Right now Full Blossom is Looking for 3 New Faces for 2014. For all you aspiring models we encourage you to apply!!! This could be your break if you are willing to travel to and work in NYC. The opportunity really is a great opportunity and I will never forget the day my Editor and Chief Mello Andrews of Moments By Mello Called me to inform me I was chosen. One of the Best feeling in the world. I was and still am the underdog in many capacities. Many in the industry did not believe in me and I came to find out they questioned the decision as to why I was chosen in the first place and that's ok.. You will have naysayers and pessimist but this is ultimately your career and you have the opportunity make it your own. My respect is growing, my face and contribution known for empowering women to be their best and really that's all I ever really wanted.

Here with My Fellow Face of Full Blossom Magazine Andrea Jackson and Michle Hilton

Myself in the Latest Issue of Full Blossom Magazine

Here is the info for the up coming Full Blossom Face Search... So like my mentor Tyquane Says.. "What are you waiting for?. You have what it takes... Don't Doubt Yourself"

Wise Words Dear Friend.. Thank you.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment